Instructor: Michel Zjala Winter
Delve into small-metal and jewelry fabrication under the guidance of knowledgeable instructors! With a focus on equipment safety, tool identification, and material knowledge, instructors will encourage skill development of foundational metalsmithing techniques. During class, students will learn how to saw, file, drill, pierce, solder, form rings, and perform multiple construction approaches. Using the techniques practiced in class, students will design and create an original pendant!
Bring your ideas and creativity.
Open to all skill levels.
You’ll love this class if you want to learn techniques for:
- Sawing, drilling, and piercing metal
- Filing and sanding metal
- Finishing metal by polishing and patinas
- Texturizing metal by hammering and stamping
- Basic ring making and sizing
- Soldering joints (t-joint, butt joint, sweat joint)
In this class you’ll have the opportunity to use the following equipment and materials:
- Copper sheet metal, copper and sterling silver wire
- Variety of standard bench jeweler’s studio tools
- Variety of jewelry hammers and stamps
- Rotary polisher and patinas
- Ring mandrels and calipers
- Acetylene/air torch and butane torch
- Flux and solder