Instructor: Jennifer Frisch
Study the art of woodburning in this hands-on foundational class! Experienced pyrography instructors will lead you through the process from start to finish and you’ll leave with your samples, small practice projects, and a uniquely created piece of woodburned art! With a focus on safety and basic skills to build on, the easy-to-follow instruction will include getting to know the woodburning tool itself and will guide you through skill-building exercises before starting on your final piece. During this class you will experience a variety of wood types to burn on, practice using several woodburning tips to produce multiple effects and learn how to add color and finishing touches. There will be an emphasis on tools and techniques suitable for home practice, so register now and be inspired to start a new hobby!
Bring your ideas and creativity, and though woodburners are provided, please feel free to bring your own to learn how your tool works with these techniques!
Open to all skill levels.
You’ll love this class if you want to learn techniques for:
- Using and caring for your woodburner and tips
- Selecting and preparing wood
- Transferring images or templates onto the selected surface
- Choosing the best tips for desired effects such as creating texture, shading, line work, lettering, patterns, stipples, hatching
- Creating the illusion that a 2D image is 3D
- Adding color with colored pencil, acrylic paint
- Coating, such as acrylic spray finish, butcher block oil, polyurethane
- Finishing, such as framing and hanging
In this class you’ll have the opportunity to use the following equipment and materials:
- Walnut Hollow Creative Versa woodburning tool
- Pine and basswood
- Carbon paper
- Prismacolor pencils, acrylic paint
- Acrylic clear spray coat
- Wall mounting hardware