Instructor: Gerry Jensen
Discover the fun and excitement of turning on a wood lathe! This brief introductory course is a true taste of operating a wood lathe and handling some of the basic woodturning tools. Instructors will guide you through turning a wood blank into something practical yet unique that will surely spark inspiration and creativity at any experience level. During this class, students will have the opportunity to design, shape, and complete a decorative writing instrument from start to finishing polish!
Bring your ideas and creativity, an impact-resistant face shield (shared classroom shields are also available for use), and closed-toe shoes.
Open to all skill levels.
You’ll love this class if you want to learn techniques for:
- Preparing blanks and designing a shape for a wood turned pen
- Operating and turning to completion on the lathe using standard turning tools
- Sanding and finishing wood turned pieces using friction polish
- Incorporating a pen hardware kit to create a writing instrument
In this class you’ll have the opportunity to use the following equipment and materials:
- Wooden pen blanks, pen hardware kits
- Band saw
- Disk sander, sandpapers
- Standard turning tools, such as gouges
- Friction polish