People can find themselves in a moment of crisis and encounter law enforcement and first responders due to the complexity of the crisis. Moreover, the crisis might be manifested because of day-to-day difficulties or due to symptoms of a mental illness. This course will provide officers with the skills necessary to appropriately communicate and assess individuals in crisis with minimal amount of force.
Participants will cover the following objectives:
- Identify signs and symptoms which can lead to a crisis
- Identify most common mental illnesses and approach considerations
- Formulate a behavioral health bulletin for internal dissemination in agency
- Discuss how tactical communications can be applied to regulate the emotions of a person in crisis
- Recognize suicide risk factors and assessment interventions
- Discuss active listening skills with people in crisis